Louisiana Mud Flap/Mud Guard Laws and Requirements

Every state has different laws for using their roads and highways. At SharpTruck we have looked through the laws of the state of Louisiana to see what exactly they say about having mud flaps or mud guards on your vehicle. This is not meant to be a definitive guide. It is always recommended that you check the laws yourself or with your local DMV to confirm.

At SharpTruck we have what you need to be able to drive in Louisiana, whether it is mud flaps, fender flares or splash guards we have what you need. Whether you are a Ford lover, Ram head, or GM buff we have a full line of mud flaps with licensed logos that will really make your truck stand out from the rest. The Gatorback line mud flaps are a top of the line product that is 2nd to none in the industry. If you are looking for quality, druability, wow factor or jus the best flap on the market Gatorback checks all of those boxes.


If the Gatorbacks are not your speed, check out all of our mud flaps

The law isn’t as vague as some that we have seen in other states but it is not the clearest either. Here is our translation of what we found:

At the very lest you need to have one of the following on a vehicle:

  •         Fenders
  •         Covers
  •         Flaps
  •         Splash Aprons
  •         Fender Flares

And they must be as wide as your tires and minimize the spray/splashing of mud, water, rocks, road debris or any loose material. Any of the items in the above list will put you in compliance with the state law.

If your vehicle is under 1500 lbs you don’t have to worry about any of these laws because it is exempt.

At the bottom of the page you will find the verbatim text of the law as well as a link to the law itself.  Also there is contact information to the Louisiana office of Motor Vehicles 


TITLE 32 — Motor vehicles and traffic regulation RS 32:364 — Fenders and mudguards

§364.  Fenders and mudguards

A.  Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, when operated upon a highway of this state, shall be equipped with fenders, covers, or such devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or fender flares to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud or loose material on the highways to the rear of the vehicle unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford such protection.  The width of such fenders, covers, or other devices shall be at least the width of the tires of the motor vehicle.

B.  This Section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registrations, nor to any other vehicle having an unladen weight of under one thousand five hundred pounds, nor to those vehicles which were not supplied with the equipment required in Subsection A of this Section at the time of manufacture, nor to trucks and farm vehicles handling and hauling agricultural and forestry products.

Acts 1962, No. 310, §1.  Amended by Acts 1968, No. 399, §1; Acts 1999, No. 1121, §1; Acts 2003, No. 236, §1.




Telephone Number:  225-925-6146

 Driver’s License Issuance - Identification Card Issuance

(225) 922-1175 Baton Rouge Area
(225) 925-6146

Vehicle Registration

(225) 925-6146 Baton Rouge Area
(225) 925-6146

Official Driving Records

(225) 925-6388 Baton Rouge
(225) 925-6146

Suspensions & Revocations

(225) 925-6388 Baton Rouge
(225) 925-6146

Mailing Address:

Office of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 64886
Baton Rouge, LA 70896

Parish Office Locations: http://dpsweb.dps.louisiana.gov/omvfielddirections.nsf/$parish?openview

Leave your comment

Contact Us
Our experts are ready to help you.